Home / Immigrate to Canada / Your Entry to Canada Within 6 Months

Your Entry to Canada Within 6 Months

Prologue: An article has already been published before by Momsiecle but is due for an update to accommodate the changes and new information about the Express Entry System. You can read the past article here (link).
 The Express Entry System was launched in January 1, 2015. The system is expected to help select skilled immigrants based on their skills and experience. Applicants with valid job offers or provincial/territorial nominations are more prioritized than others. The Government of Canada uses this system to manage applications for the 3 federal economic immigration programs: (1) the Federal Skilled Worker Program, (2) Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the (3) Canadian Experience Class. The Canadian Provinces and Territories are also able to use the Express Entry system to select a portion of candidates for their Provincial Nominee Programs.
It has been more than 2 years since the implementation of this system and it is still the fastest way to move to Canada as a permanent resident. Yes, you read that right! In fact, most of the PR applications submitted under this system is processed within 6 months or less. The short processing time solely depends on the candidate’s qualifications.
Given an ideal scenario that the candidate received high points using the points-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), the candidate will more than likely be invited to apply for a permanent resident status. After receiving the invitation to apply (ITA), the candidate should then complete all the documents required for submission for the program application. This ideal case will definitely be processed within 6 months or less.
There has been a lot of changes ever since the program’s implementation. Additional points have been given if you have siblings in Canada and additional points have also been given to applicants with strong French language skills, to name a couple. Nonetheless, the 2-step process remains the same.
Disclaimer: Pinoy-Canada.com is not in anyway affiliated with the CIC. To clarify any information about the system, it is best to visit their official website www.cic.gc.ca.
Here are the suggested plans you should consider when planning to move to Canada as a Permanent Resident:
Plan A
As mentioned earlier, if your goal is to come to Canada within 6 months processing, the Express Entry system is what you should aim to do. It basically has 2 steps.
STEP 1: Potential candidates shall complete an online Express Entry profile. Once the system is online, potential candidates will complete a secure form that they will use to provide information about their – skills, work experience, language ability, education, and other details that will help CIC assess their case. There will be no deadline to complete a profile, however you need to follow the following to complete your Express Entry profile:
  • Take a Language Test, result of this test will be used by CIC to determine if the candidate is eligible to immigrate to Canada under one of the federal programs that are part of Express Entry. Language Test is a third-party test outside CIC, for list of acceptable third party organizations, refer to CIC website.
  • Candidates who are educated outside Canada must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of their completed foreign educational credentials. Assessment can be arranged with designated organizations.
  • The candidates need to know the skill type of the job of his work experience is in (as well as the job you plan to have in Canada, if they are different). To find out whether your work experience is valid under one of the three federal programs, use Canada’s job classification system (the National Occupational Classification, or NOC).

STEP 2: The highest-ranking candidates in the pool will be invited to apply for permanent residence. Candidates who meet the criteria will be accepted into a pool of possible candidates for immigration to Canada. Candidates will be ranked against others in the pool using a point-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Points are awarded using the information in their profile. Candidates with the highest scores in the pool will be issued an ITA.

When candidates are taken from the pool, it will be called a “draw”. CIC will select the highest-ranking candidates from the pool through regular “draws” and invite them to apply to immigrate as a permanent resident. Make sure to regularly check the current scores in the pool on the CIC website to know if you belong to the upper percentile. If you do belong to the upper percentile, congratulations!
However, many candidates would probably have their CRS points ranging between 300-399 and these points would not be enough to be awarded an ITA. Don’t fret, there are other options for you.
If you are married, have your spouse take the IELTS exam and have his or her ECA assessed. This will likely boost your points by around 20+ points. This is most advisable if your CRS points is close to 400. Depending on your overall CRS points, you will have a good fighting chance to receive an ITA.
If this is still not enough, there is still Plan C. It will be more difficult but still possible.
PLAN C – Provincial Nominee Program
A maximum of 600 points will be given to candidates who receive a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer or who have been nominated for immigration by a province or territory. Some Provinces requires a job offer (BC PNP, AINP, PEI) but there are other province that do not require a job offer (SINP, NB PNP).
Up to 500 points will be allotted for age, education level, language proficiency and work experience in Canada, while a maximum of 100 points will be allotted for a combination of education level, foreign work experience and a certificate in the trades.
Receiving a nomination can guarantee an ITA. For the past 6 months, candidates with CRS points ranging from 413-450 were sent ITAs. Thus, the 600 points you earned from the nomination would be more that enough.
PLAN D – Foreign Student – In Progress!
If the previous plans still won’t work for you, you may want to consider the Student Visa Route. This is the most common route for many because you can easily become a Permanent Resident after you graduate. Applying to be a foreign student would mean this is also a pricey option but you can think of this as an investment. For example, you can have your spouse with you on an Open Work Permit (OWP) which can bring you income.
If you think Express Entry is not for you, you can try applying for Morden. Read more here:
If you are single, you can always look for someone who can whisk you away and bring you to Canada. Just kidding!
Kidding aside, there are a lot of programs in Canada that allows you to move. Al you have to do is to find the right one that fits your case. Click here


If you have questions, we got answers! Join the Facebook group to get access to the lively discussions about everything you need to know as you migrate/settle in Canada. Everyone’s welcome to join!

About Admin

Check Also

No Relatives in Canada? The Morden Initiative Program is For You!

Finding ways to move to Canada? If you can’t find a program that suits your …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *