Thursday , June 1 2023
Home / Uncategorized / HELP: Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?

HELP: Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?


This past few weeks, I’ve been receiving a lot of questions about which family members can come with them to Canada when they immigrate. Family is a very important asset in Canada. The federal government is offering multiple options for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to bring their family members to live with them. In fact, Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship programs are some of the most accessible and hospitable reunification programs in the world. There are a number of relationships that qualify for the program, from close family members to cousins or other relatives, in certain provinces.

These family members can come with you:

  • your spouse or common-law partner
  • your dependent child
  • your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent child
  • a dependent child of a dependent child.

These family members can’t come with you:

  • your parents,
  • grandparents,
  • brother or sister,
  • uncle or aunt,
  • nephew or niece,
  • other relatives.

You may be able to sponsor them AFTER you immigrate to Canada.

Find out more about how to sponsor your family


Spouse: A legal marriage partner. This term includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships but does not include common-law partnerships
Common-law partner – A person who has been living with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The term refers to opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.
Dependent Child – Canada’s definition of a dependent child, for the purposes of Immigration, has changed. As of August 1, 2014, only children under 19 years of age are eligible as dependants. The former definition allowed children under 22 years of age to be eligible as dependants

If you have more questions, please refer to the link below

Source: IRCC

Disclaimer: is not in any way connected with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)), nor are immigration consultants by profession or agency any information or news shared on this site are gathered from updates from various resources


About Admin - Free Classified Ads - Online Discussions - Immigration & Current Events

Check Also

Sample Canadian Resume