The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (in Japanese: Monbukagakusho, English acronym: MEXT) in Japan offers scholarships to Canadian students and Philippine students wishing to pursue their studies at a Japanese university.
The scholarship covers:
- Full tuition
- Monthly allowance
- Round-trip flight between Japan and Canada/ Japan and the Philippines
Applications must be sent to the Japanese diplomatic mission or embassy nearest you.
The Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC) of the Embassy of Japan is now accepting applications for the Research, Undergraduate, Specialized Training College, and College of Technology categories of the 2018 Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho a.k.a MEXT) Scholarship Program.
The four scholarship categories are the following:
- Research (Research Student, Masters or Doctorate) – Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural Sciences Field of Study.
- Undergraduate – Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural Sciences Field of Study.
- Specialized Training College – Technology, Personal Care and Nutrition, Education and Welfare, Business, Fashion and Home Economics, Culture and General Education
- College of Technology – Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Information Communication and Network Engineering, Materials Engineering, Architecture and Civil Engineering, Maritime Engineering
The application process consists of a documented screening, written exams, and an interview.
The deadline for submission of applications is on Friday, May 26, 2017, at the JICC Library. ONLY hard copies printed on A4 size paper and mailed through courier or hand-delivered to the Embassy will be accepted.
All Filipino citizens who meet the certain qualifications are eligible to apply, for details and more information click HERE.
Moreover, application forms can be downloaded HERE.
Below are the three categories of scholarships available for Canadian students.
- Research Studies (Masters and Ph.D.)
- Undergraduate – Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of study from below:
- Social Sciences and Humanities like Law, Politics, Pedagogy, Sociology and more
- Natural Sciences like Civil Engineering, Architecture, Medicine, Dentistry and more
- Japanese Studies
Future application forms will be available in late March or early April, each year with a deadline in May. All eligible applicants will be invited for an interview and examination on a designated date in late June or sometime in July.
Applications must be sent to the Japanese diplomatic mission nearest you.
Japanese Diplomatic Mission MEXT Application Jurisdiction
Embassy of Japan in Ottawa The City of Ottawa
Consulate-General of Japan in Vancouver British Columbia, The Yukon
Consulate-General of Japan in Calgary Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut
Consulate-General of Japan in Montreal Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and Labrador
The MEXT Scholarship program requires exam and interview. Successful applicants can have a free full tuition, monthly allowance (board and lodging) and free round trip tickets. In Canada, follow the instructions on the website from above on your specified Japanese diplomatic mission. For more details, application guidelines and checklist click here.